4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
4:24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them.
This series on depression is not an attempt to give medical advice on depression but perhaps some helps for those that don’t have chronic bouts of depression. I am one who believes that there are some that have depression due to hereditary or genetic causes.
So for the causes of depression here are a few.
1. As previously stated. Genetics or hereditary origins. Many fall under this category and they have a hard time just getting up out of bed. Little things are big things to them and it is a battle all their life. Perhaps meds help and for some meds may not help. See your doctor not someone who thinks he or she knows all about it but doesn’t know as much as they think they know. It’s aggravating to hear some that think they are professionals just because they don’t have a depression issue. And they will tell you it is all in your mind meaning they don’t believe it is a legit disease. And yet it’s ok if members of their own family have it, then they over look them, but not you.
2. Traumatic events cause depression. In my case, once I had my heart attack I felt I was not the man I used to be and believed I will never be. This will work on your mind so watch out! I watched others keep going and this was an encouragement to me to keep going.
3. Medications and drugs will cause depression. Some meds that is used to prevent depression perhaps may cause depression. Watch out for this. I was on a med for anxiety and as time passed it started causing anxiety because I was getting addicted to it and didn’t even know it.
4. Finances, relationships, and money can cause depression. You may think your life is over if you loose your job, partner, or a large sum of money. Never live around something that may be here today and gone tomorrow.
5. Finally, health issues and death of loved ones. These things cause deep depression and for some they think they can’t go on. My dad goes to the nursing home to see mom everyday but I know he probably doesn’t’ feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This will cause depression.
The devil wants you to give up and don’t serve the Lord.
Remember, Jesus didn’t quit when he was headed to the cross and let him be your inspiration to keep going on. God has something for you to do, if he didn’t he would call you home now. I know some of you that will read this have heavy trials and burdens but listen what the Lord has to say to you.
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 1st Corinthians 10:13.
May God give you grace to get the victory over depression.