Our text today is from John 10:10. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Many people in the hour of heartbreak or heartache just can’t find a reason to go on.
Nearby my house a young lady was killed in an automobile accident about 4 yrs ago and to this day her mom still comes to the place where she was killed to bring flowers and to dress up the area with pictures and crosses. It seems she has just given up on living for the future and chooses to remain in the past.
Even worse, some people just can’t find a reason to live.
Notice the illustration. The man just can’t find a good reason to live.
I happen to know of a person just within a couple of weeks ago who took her own life because as far as she was concerned life was just too difficult for her. People are so burdened down with troubles and cares they get to the place where they feel they just can’t handle it.
If you need a good reason to live go to the Holy Bible and there you will find plenty of reasons. 1. Jesus died and paid for your sins so you could live. 1 Peter 2.
2. He left you His spirit so you would never be alone. John 14.
3. He went to Heaven to prepare a place for you. John 14.
4. Jesus loves you so much that he gave all He had for you. John 3.
5. The Lord Jesus Christ left you His word so you would know how to live and love. John 20 and John 15.
6. He promised that He was coming again to take you home to Heaven. John 14.
7. Others are depending on you to be a guide and source of strength in their time of need. 2 Corinthians 1.
8. One day you will get a brand new body, live in a brand new home, where all things will be brand new. 1 Corinthians 15 and Revelation 21.
These are for starters. There are plenty more, so you do have a reason to live. As a matter of fact, you have more reasons to live than to die. It’s better to live for something than to die for nothing.
Next time you get down and out, read about what Jesus did for you and after that, consider thanking Him with your living service. You can’t serve Him when you’re in the graveyard.
After all He did for you what are you going to do for Him?
Service to Him is the best reason of all to live.