Our text today is drawn from Luke 12:15.
And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Just this week, I received news that a lady with whom I work with, lost her belongings in a house fire. I’m sure she is going through some major trials and depression because of the devastation involved. I’m not sure what all she lost. If her house burnt down completely it will be categorized as a total loss. However, here are some things that she didn’t loose in the fire.
- Her life and the lives of her loved ones. Everyone got out alive and no one was killed.
- The love between her and her loved ones. Fire can’t put that out.
- Her health. Many don’t have that either.
- Her job. Many have lost them too.
- If she is saved, her faith in Jesus Christ. Fire down through the ages has been known to strengthen faith.
- If she has been born again she didn’t loose her relationship with the Lord. When you walk with the Lord, in times like these, the relationship will get stronger.
- Finally, she didn’t loose her home in Heaven. Trials like this make you appreciate Heaven because it is eternal, not temporal, subject to the laws of nature.
The Bible tells us that we are in everything to give thanks. Perhaps that is easy preaching and hard living but remember always, though we may loose material possessions down here, there are many things that are far more valuable than can never be lost.
So in trials like these you have more than you think, and for a Christian, it will never be a total loss.